How To Work In the US On a Temporary Work Visa

If you are looking to work in the US on a nonimmigrant visa as per the federal laws, you will need to petition for the specific visa according to the job you undertake. Most of the non-immigrant visas need to be approved by the US Citizenship and Immigration Service after the prospective employer files the petition. Only after that can you file for the visa under any of these temporary work visas:


  • Q visa- International cultural exchange visitors
  • L visa- Within company transferees
  • O visa: Foreigners/Aliens with extraordinary skills in education/art/business/sports
  • H-1B visa: Specialty employment based on high skills, management and critical knowledge
  • H-2 visa:Temporary agricultural labor/seasonal workers
  • D visa:Crew members
  • R visa:Religious workers
  • E visa: Investor and traders
  • I visa: International media, press and radio


If you are considering some of these visas, it would benefit you to know that the temporary agricultural worker and seasonal worker visa requires the prospective employer to be granted approval from the Department of Labor along with the labor certificate and other considerations for the new or potential employee for filing the visa application. After the permissions are received, the employer can file the required Petition for Non-Immigrant Worker that is an essential step required by the US Citizenship and Immigration Service.

But before you file for the temporary work visa, you need to have the approval from USCIS on the Form I-129 which is the petition for Non-immigration Worker. And the form has to be submitted by the potential employer at least 6 months in advance for processing, before the employment starts. When the petition is approved, the employer will receive the Notice of Action or Form I-797. Although rule shave changed over the years, the US Consulate requires the receipt number on the I-129 petition to verify and authenticate the visa petition. e2 visa law los angeles

Some of the required documents that need to filled include:

· Form DS-160 which is the Non immigrant visa electronic application that needs to be filed online

· A valid passport with at lease 6 months validity after your stay tenure is completed in US

· Recent 2×2″ passport photograph as per specific US consulate requirements

· For those filing for blanket L visa needs to have Form I-129S

Under the current immigration rules, the workers seeking temporary visa regardless of the L, H, I, O or Q visas need to meet the eligibility requirements of each specific category. But whether you qualify or not for the applied visa, depend upon the consulate officer. It is best to apply for the temporary work visa at the US consulate in your home country as it is more difficult to qualify for it if you are in US or any other country.

At the time of the interview for the temporary work visa, a digital fingerprint scan is done and while some visa applicants might require additional administrative application and documentation processing that takes a few more days. However, in case you need assistance with visa interview preparation and documentation, there are experienced immigration attorneys and legal visa assistance services that can help you get the paperwork in order before you file the temporary work visa application.

Related Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *